They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it’s not always easy to fit it in with our busy schedules. Here’s a tasty recipe for a breakfast you can take with you on the road.
- 4 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 3 whole-wheat English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 6 1/2-ounce slices low-fat, cracked black pepper ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion (scallion) tops
- 3 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
In a small bowl, combine apple butter and mustard. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture on each muffin half.
In another small bowl, combine ham, onion, and cheese. Spread each muffin half with this mixture.
Place muffin halves on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the topping is bubbly. (Both mixtures may be prepared in advance and stored separately for a quick breakfast.)
Each serving contains about 137 calories, 10 g protein, 3 g fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 19 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fiber, and 400 mg sodium.
Online Medical Reviewer: Brittany Poulson MDA RDN CD CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Heather Trevino
Date Last Reviewed: 4/1/2020
© 2000-2023 The StayWell Company, LLC. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.