Going to the hospital can cause a lot of anxiety and uneasiness but knowing you or your loved one are in good care can relieve some stress. According to Health Grades, nine New Jersey hospitals made it in the 250 best in America for 2023.
Health Grades came up with the 250 Best Hospitals in America list based on two steps:
1. Evaluate hospital performance for 31 procedures and conditions using Healthgrades Mortality and Complication Outcomes Methodology. Specifically, Healthgrades evaluates each hospital’s actual performance as compared to the predicted performance for that hospital based on the application of a specific risk-adjustment model. For more details, see Healthgrades Mortality and Complications Outcomes Methodology.
2. Identify the hospitals with superior performance overall for up to 31 of these conditions and procedures using eligibility requirements and the clinical excellence award determination steps below.
One New Jersey hospital made the top 100 which were determined by this three-step process:
1. Identify hospitals that received the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award in 2023 and count the number of consecutive years of receiving the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award.
2. Rank order hospitals by number of consecutive years that they received the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award, and then secondarily sort by their volume-weighted z-score for the 2023 award year. The volume-weighted average z-score is a statistical measure of hospital quality outcomes.
3. Identify hospitals that received the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award for at least five consecutive years. Since more than 100 hospitals received the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award for a minimum of five years, we use the most recent volume-weighted z-score to determine the top 100 for the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for 2023 list—which includes America’s 50 Best Hospitals. These hospitals are recognized as the top 2% in the nation for consistent clinical quality.
Two New Jersey hospitals even made it to the top 50 where the hospitals were scored using the same methodology as the first two steps above but with the last step having a more vigorous rating:
3. Identify hospitals that received the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award for at least eight consecutive years. Since more than 50 hospitals received the America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award for a minimum of eight years, we use the most recent volume-weighted z-score to determine the top 50 and create the America’s 50 Best Hospitals for 2023 list.
Take a look at which New Jersey hospitals made the list below: